Thursday, October 16, 2014

Week 7

This weeks reading, Video and links were great (not that all the other weeks weren't great too). First of all the TED talk was up my ally. I love clips like those and you tube now takes down anything with a whole song on it using digitized recognition software. In my opinion he is correct in what he is saying.  Finally if a person does decide to create a piece and has the money to pay for the copy right license, they also have the problem that you tube or other host pages, will take down their work, then the creator of the piece has to petition to put it back up (source my son who reads up on these things).

As far as the web links the free ebooks are really useful. I have used the k-12 open text books and now I am looking into the college ones. I followed the link to the  California Community College Consortium page and then to a video by De Anza college instructors talking about open book.

This was an eye opener! I just started teaching a basic math class at a community college, and most of my class could not buy the book (the department has some books available to loan to low income students), and the ones that could, finally did in the second week. I was happy to see that instructors are considering these options.

After the links I looked for a book in pre Algebra and found a clearly written one, good clear steps and hands on activities:
Open Book pre Algebra

My mind map:
My mind map got as confusing as my mind. Under all of those links I had other links, such as video clips not whole videos when teaching online. Text book has the open source book.  Can't see them though.





No comments:

Post a Comment