Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Week 12

My experience on creating web enhanced and blended classes, has been limited to Hybrid classes. I found that students did better when they met a couple of times during the quarter. During the meetings they could ak questions, develop projects and take the topic more in the direction they were interested in. Now I teach a face to face class that I intend to hybrid by next quarter.

In my face to face class I noticed that students comment on what I put on the blog and are spending the time to look at what I posted. If I post that I have a test or a quiz, more students show up. These students are college aged in pre algebra and are considered by the department as unable to follow steps and lectures. What I am finding is many function just like any other students and are up on technology. So they use it, and then they are happy to know I keep up with the blog.

My plan is to create the math class as an online class but still run the hour of class with available notes, practice time and question and answer sessions. It always surprises me what they come up to ask me. Some students are still asking about the week before, others are a chapter ahead. In theory if I put everything online, then students can pace themselves and finish as early as they wish and maybe prepare for the entrance exam too, skipping pre-algebra and going straight into algebra. Students who need more review would have review pages available online and tests and quizzes can be taken by the time they are ready rather than having the student who is behind get an anxiety attack because they don't know how to solve the problems and the student who is ahead miss half the classes.

The end goal is to personalize the course to fit the variety of students I am teaching, by using online black board.




No comments:

Post a Comment